1434 AND 1440 STE-CATHERINE

1434 and 1440 Sainte-Catherine St. W., Montreal

Restauration of facades

These are two adjoining buildings. The first (1434),
constructed in 1932, has 5 floors. Its plan includes an inner
courtyard, and its main façade was inspired by the Art Deco
movement. The second (1440) has 12 floors, of which the
last 2 floors are penthouses, was built in 1965. Its first
exterior levels have received a particular architectural
treatment where granite panels have been inserted, while
the other floors have been covered with prefabricated
concrete modules with integrated bays.

One of the challenges of the project was to carry out the work
without disrupting the activities of the occupants.

Work at 1434:

  • Demolition of the brick facing, consolidation of the structure and back wall of the East
    and rear facades
  • Construction of the new brick and precast concrete facing by reproducing the original patterns
    at the top or on the pillars
  • Concrete structure repair of the inner courtyard’s facades and of the rear facades
  • Brick repointing of the inner courtyard’s and rear facades
  • Replacement of windows of the main facade
  • Repair of all other windows with aluminum frames

Work at 1440:

  • Demolition of the brick facing, consolidation of the structure and back wall of the East
    and rear facades
  • Installation of a new brick facing at the East and rear facades
  • Caulking repairs between precast concrete and granite panels
  • Verification of concrete panels and addition of anchors where necessary
  • Cleaning of concrete and granite panels
  • Repair of selected concrete panels with restoration mortar
  • Replacement of granite anchors of the stone string between 2nd and 3rd floors
  • Replacement of granite string at the first level.